Thursday, March 24, 2011

Author Insides - Aunia Kahn

Aunia Kahn's art work has been compared to movie-like stills, which hide away long stories within their visuals. Often times she explores taboo and controversial subject matter to challenge the viewers, their understanding and preconceived notions, yet she connects through honest feeling and emotions. Using a hybrid art form, she combines many disciplines, melding photography, painting and collage. She is also a graphic and web designer and the creator of the Silver Era Tarot and Lowbrow Tarot Project. http://www.auniakahn.com/ and http://auniakahn.bigcartel.com/

Aunia's art work and poetry have both appeared in The Battered Suitcase. She was our feature/cover artist for the Autumn 2009 issue, and her poetry appeared in the Winter 2010 issue.


When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

Writing has always been an escape to me, as art and music. I knew from a very young age that I wanted to write a book, and in my early teens I took hundreds of my writings and created a makeshift book, which has now been turned into an actual published book called “Obvious Remote Chaos”.

Why do you write?

Well, my muse makes me.

Is being a writer/poet anything like you imagined it would be?

Yes, it’s everything I could ever want it to be, even if I had never been published. I could not live without it.

What do you think makes a good story?

When it’s not the same old story told different ways, by different people. Give me something new, and fresh.

What's your favorite genre to read?

I love all books, I could not select a favorite genre.

Who is your favorite author or poet?

I love Rumi as a poet, and as an author it changes since I read such diverse books most recently I feel in love with Wendy Moore.

What books or stories have most influenced you the most as a writer?

As a writer I am more influenced by music and art, and life. I love to read, but I don’t find books influence my writing accept motivating me to want to keep writing, but each book I read makes me want to do that.

What books or stories have most influenced you as a person?

The Shack, By: William P. Young
The Knife Man: The Extraordinary Life and Times of John Hunter, Father of Modern Surgery, By: Wendy Moore
The Celestine Prophecy, By: James Redfield

Where/how do you find the most inspiration?

From the world around me, things I love, things I loathe and trying to figure out what makes me tick.

What does your family think of your writing?

They seem to be very supportive.

What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

I seem to go in spurts. I will sit down and have days that I just can’t get enough of writing, and then I have to stop and do something else like focus on art. I am compulsive with all creations, when I do them I really get into them until burn out, and then move to the next medium.

Do you have any writing quirks or rituals?

I always screw up though, and through while typing.

Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?

Trying to keep more of a balanced schedule, and not being so neurotic.

What are your current projects?

Currently I am working on my second poetry book, a tabletop art book that will have writing about each one of my art pieces, and working on the book for the Lowbrow Tarot Project.

What are you planning for future projects?

I have so many that I have a notebook full of them; too many to list and lots of them are secrets.

Do you have any advice for other writers?

Keep going. No matter if you think you are any good at what you do, keep doing it because it does not matter f anyone else likes it, if you enjoy the process, just do it!

Where else can we find your work?

http://www.auniakahn.com/ and http://www.silvereratarot.com/

1 comment: