Sunday, February 27, 2011

Author Insides - Salvatore Gugliotta

Salvatore Gugliotta received a B.A. in English from Coastal Carolina University in 2008. From there he moved to South Korea to teach English for a year. After strolling around Hong Kong, South Korea, Japan, and Thailand he returned to the United States in 2009 to attend graduate school for English education. He currently lives in Southern New Jersey where he writes, teaches, and ekes out a happy living. He has just completed his second unpublished novel that he hopes doesn't get as dusty as the first.

Sal's short story, "Three Magic Words" appeared in the Autum 2010 issue of TBS

When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?


I guess I was 19 years old and I started life-guarding on the beach. I burnt my arm pretty badly in an accident one night and had to sit on this beach where I didn't have to do a thing all day long. I brought my journal with me and one thing led to another.

Why do you write?

I write because, I don't have a choice. It's coming out one way or the other.

Is being a writer/poet anything like you imagined it would be?

I did have dreams of not having to work a 9-5...

What's your favorite genre to read?
I've always been attracted to something that still has the laws of reality attached to it.

What books or stories have most influenced you the most as a writer?

This is the boring answer, but I don't think I read anything that hasn't in some way affected me. The novels I picked up and couldn't read a page of reminded me of the things I didn't want to be. The novels I picked up and couldn't put down made me jealous enough to go and get what I wanted to be.

What does your family think of your writing?

Convincing them they aren't a character is difficult, even when they are.

What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

I'm up at 6 and write until noon. Then I go to work at an academy in South Korea to teach literature. Then I'm home at 9 and writing until 12.

What are your current projects?

Currently I'm working on a novel called Acid Washed Wild Divide. It's about a guy who loses a girl, drinks rat poison ten years later, and realizes that it was a really stupid decision. Both of those things.



No comments:

Post a Comment