Sunday, March 27, 2011

Author Insides - Brandon Wallace

Brandon Wallace is 29 year-old life-long writer and poet. A 2005 graduate of Purdue University with a Master’s Degree in American Studies, his work has appeared in the anthologies, "In Our Own Words: A Generation Defining Itself, Vol. 8" and "Carried Over". He counts among his influences Alice Walker, Angela Davis, Howard Zinn, President Obama and Barbra Streisand. He maintains a blog, JuliusSpeaks, at http://www.juliusspeaks.blogspot.com/
Brandon's poetry appeared in the Summer 2010 issue  of TBS




Brandon, when did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

I began telling stories when I was about a year old. I wrote my first story when I was about three. I eeked out a novel when I was twelve. The title of it was “Cries in the Rain.”

Why do you write?

I write because that’s what I do. I just write.

Is being a writer/poet anything like you imagined it would be?

Not yet. I'm not rich and famous yet.

What do you think makes a good story?

A compelling story captures your attention and keeps you fully engaged.

What's your favorite genre to read?

I read everything, but if I had to say something was my favorite I guess it would be the novel.

Who is your favorite author or poet?

My favorite author is Alice Walker. My favorite book by her is Possessing the Secret of Joy. Among poets, I love Nikki Giovanni, Audre Lorde, Dorothy Parker, and Amiri Baraka.

What books or stories have most influenced you the most as a writer?

Alice Walker’s Possessing the Secret of Joy, Pat Conroy’s The Prince of Tides and John Irving’s The World According to Garp.

What books or stories have most influenced you as a person?

The same three as above. That’s fiction. Among nonfiction, I would say W.E.B. DuBois, J.A. Rogers, Lady Antonia Fraser, and Corrie Ten Boom.

Where/how do you find the most inspiration?

I think just breathing. When I write, I write. When I don’t I don’t.

What does your family think of your writing?

They think it’s a nice hobby.

What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

I let the spirit move me.

Do you have any writing quirks or rituals?

Not yet.

Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?

I’m still honing my craft.

What are your current projects?

Revising two novels. I haven’t started a new story yet, though one is formulating.

What are you planning for future projects?

A gay novel.

Do you have any advice for other writers?

Simply to keep writing.

Where else can we find your work?

http://www.juliusspeaks.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment